The Dental Industry Association of Canada (DIAC) published the results of the 21st annual future of dentistry survey report*. Many canadian dentists replied, allowing the DIAC to draw a portrait of the canadian dentists in 2017.
Overview : who are the Canadian dentists in 2017
2017 Dentists profile
- Among those surveyed, 90% work in general dentistry and 10% are specialists.
- 59% work alone, 36% are part of a group practice, and 4% in corporate dentistry.
Owner vs associate
- 72% of those surveyed own their practice, a little less than the previous two years (2016: 77%, 2015: 79%). The part of dentists becoming owners start to increase from 4 years of experience (61% of the dentists with a 4 to 9 years of experience are owners). 81% of the dentists with a 10 years experience and more own their practice.
- There are more practice owners in Quebec (71%) and in the Western provinces (75%) than any other regions (Atlantic : 29% and Ontario : 29%).
Dentists in practice
- The number of practices with 5 dentists or more in 2017 was 13%, a big increase considering 2016 was 3.4%, and previous years averaging 6.3%.
- There are also more operatorie rooms per practice. 72% of Dentists work in a practice with 4 operatories rooms or more.
- The average number of patients treated per day: 53% of Dentists treat between 6 and 10 patients per day. This number decreased compared to previous years. An average of 12.5 patients the previous 10 years.
Dentists and funding
44% of those surveyed have already considered leasing as an option for the financing of their equipment and/or practice. A drop compared to 2016 where 61.1% considered leasing as a method of Financing. This drop may be due to the increase in Associates, as they are not the ones who make Financing decisions.
MediCapital : specialized financing partner
Who is MediCapital?
MediCapital is the only financial partner in Canada that is dedicated to financial services for dentists. Our role is to support your business strategy for the purchase of dental equipments or for your practice growth. Our specialization and expertise allows us to offer you custom and attractive financing structures that no other financial institution would offer.
What funding opportunities for dentists?
Whether you plan to open a dental clinic, or to equip your clinic with new equipment (CEREC equipment, software, SCHICK sensors etc…) : these operations often require assistance for their financing. At MediCapital, we listen to your projects to offer you personalized care and guidance. For more information, see our article Leasing vs. Loan: How to finance your professional equipment.
*21st annual future of Dentistry survey report of the Dental Industry Association of Canada